Tree fall on your home? Advise & information about what to do
Tree fall on your home? Advise & information about what to do if this happens to you.
With so many recent summer storms trees are falling causing damage everywhere, including homes in Philadelphia! Damage can be significant and there are many homeowners that don't know where to start in this situation. SERVPRO of Spring Garden/Fairmount can help. Here is some information and advise on what to do should this happen to you.
The sudden storms of summer are short and strong. Usually trees don't fall just because they are old. The rain water can become overwhelming in the ground making it soft and tree roots do not hold well in soft, wet dirt. This along with strong wind surges cause the tree to fall, wind pulls the tree right up from the soft ground causing the fall.
If the tree does hit your home there will likely be damage, depending on the size of the tree the amount of damage can vary. Here are the basic steps to take to secure your home:
1. If you are in the home when the fall occurs, immediate walk out-side and visually look at your home for damage. Use an entrance far from the tree if possible. IE: If the main entrance is blocked, go out the back door.
2. Call your local Fire or Police and advise them of the tree fall, sometimes there can be street wires that go down with the tree. If this is a problem the local authorities will help secure the area for safety.
3. Call your Insurance Carrier and report a claim for the damage to your home. Get a claim number and you adjusters contact information. Also make sure they explain the claim process and how your insurance coverage applies in this situation.
4. Call a Tree Company to have the tree professionally removed. Your insurance carrier may assign a company, if not ask for recommendations. DO NOT attempt yourself, this is very dangerous!
5. Call SERVPRO of Spring Garden/Fairmount to begin mitigation of the damage. Also to board or secure areas of the house that is needed. The sooner we begin mitigation the better. Damage can get worse the longer it waits.
6. Once all of this is done, begin looking for a contractor if any reconstruction is needed. SERVPRO of Spring Garden/Fairmount can also help you with this, we one of few SERVPRO Franchises that does reconstruction after mitigation.
At the end of the process we at SERVPRO of Spring Garden/Fairmont will it "Like it never even happened"
We are available 24/7 and 365 days a year for emergency services at 215-791-2302 or visit our website. Click "Request Service Online"
You can also contact us through our Facebook Page: SERVPRO of Spring Garden & Fairmount: Fire, Water, Mold Emergency Services. Click the "call" button on the page or directly message us.