Christmas Tree & Lights - Fire Safety Tips for our Philadelphia Family's
Attention our Philadelphia Friends & Family: Avoid a Holiday Fire Disaster!
Did you know that Christmas trees alone result in 13 million dollars, annually, in property damage? More importantly, these fires present real risk towards family, friends, and homes! While having a live tree in your home is a tradition to many & beautiful, beware of dangers and take simple precautions; The combination of tree dryness, electrical malfunction with lights and poorly located heating sources can make for a devastating combination.
BUT IF YOUR HOLIDAY IS JUST NOT COMPLETE WITHOUT A LIVE TREE, FOLLOW THESE SAFETY PRECAUTIONS TO KEEP THREATS AT BAY:
- Fresh trees are less likely to catch fire, so look for a tree with vibrant green needles that are hard to pluck and don’t break easily from its branches. The tree shouldn’t be shedding its needles readily.
- Always place your tree away from heat sources like fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents or lights, and keep the tree base filled with water to avoid a dry-out.
- Make sure all your indoor and outdoor Christmas lights have been tested in a lab by the UL or ETL/ITSNA for safety, and throw out any damaged lights.
- Any lights you use outdoors must be labeled suitable for exterior placement, and be sure to plug them into a ground-fault circuit interrupter protected receptacle.
- Keep all your holiday candles away from your Christmas tree, surrounding furniture and décor.
- Bedtime means lights off! Don’t forget to turn your Christmas tree lights of each night.
When your tree begins to drop its needles, it’s time to say goodbye to your evergreen foliage until next year. So this year, follow our tips to avoid becoming another statistic.
Remember to call SERVPRO of Spring Garden if emergency services are required @ 215-791-2302.
Available 24/7 & 365 days a year.
Happy Holidays from all of us at SERVPRO Spring Garden / Fairmont!